|GARMIN Oregon 300 Firmware Upgrades
The following lists of changes are based on information provided by GARMIN. Changes or improvements which we consider important or especially useful are shown highlighted.
To view the current firmware version, complete the following steps:
- Turn on the GPS.
- Touch "Setup".
- Scroll down to the very end of the list by touching the down arrow multiple times.
- Touch "About...".
- The system will display the firmware version at the very top ("Software Version"), the unit ID on the second line, followed by various copyright information.
- Touch "Back" to return to the previous page.
Each upgrade replaces the complete firmware in the GPS, which means you need to install only the version you wish to apply. There is no need to install any previous versions.
- Updated magnetic Earth data.
- Improved GPS performance.
- Improved support for BirdsEyeTM Satellite Imagery (each provider's imagery can be configured independently).
- Increased the maximum number of supported JNX files to 250 from 200.
- Fixed issues with WAAS/EGNOS.
- Fixed issue with track navigation sometimes not adding waypoints to the Active Route list.
- Fixed issue with MPC map labels disappearing.
- Fixed shutdown on the map page when you have a geocache dashboard active and return after pressing the geocache name .
- Fixed issue with photo viewer not displaying correctly.
- Fixed issue with 3D view.
- Fixed issue with track navigation not adding waypoints to the Active Route list when they are exactly equal to a track point.
- Fixed shutdown when the device had more than the maximum number of JNX files on it.
- Fixed shutdown related to topographical maps and land cover text size.
- Fixed shutdown associated with certain custom POI files.
- Fixed Glide Ratio to Destination field.
- Fixed an issue related to adding a geocache as a point in a route.
- Fixed an issue with magnetic north reference and waypoint headings.
- Modified the 'Arriving at Destination' message banner so that it no longer appears when navigating to a geocache.
Firmware Upgrade V4.20 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Added support for chirpTM
- Fixed problem with certain custom maps.
Firmware Upgrade V4.10 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Fixed issue on 3D View where vehicle could move after using the map.
- Fixed issue on map page where back button would jump to the main menu.
- Fixed issues with odometer distance.
- Fixed shutdown while panning the map for extended periods of time.
Firmware Upgrade V4.00 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Added ability to set user declination direction.
- Added Automatic Shaded Relief option.
- Added brightness adjustments for BirdsEye imagery.
- Added Geocache filtering. Select Setup > Geocaches to add custom filters.
- Added multicaching support.
- Improved WAAS performance.
- Fixed elevation profiles to always use the most detailed DEM data loaded.
- Fixed issue with calculator % function.
- Fixed issue with map POI's showing twice for a single point.
- Fixed issue with Oblique Mercator User grid.
- Fixed occasional shutdowns.
- Fixed spot sounding display on certain maps.
Firmware Upgrade V3.90 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Added BirdsEye control to profiles.
- Added screen calibration option.
- Fixed issue changing marine modes.
- Fixed map display problems.
Firmware Upgrade V3.80 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Added support for GARMIN BirdsEye.
- Added mmHg pressure units.
- Added ability to change active track color.
- Added option to calibrate screen under Setup->Display.
Firmware Upgrade V3.70 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Increased the map drawing range to allow maps to draw farther south.
- Corrected issue with route line sometimes not drawing.
- Corrected issues with marine POI.
- Corrected issues with GB Discoverer maps.
- Corrected issue with project waypoint bearing sometimes not showing the input value.
Firmware Upgrade V3.60 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Added ability to view elevation plot of upcoming active route or currently navigated track in blue.
- Added display of icons to the lists in Where To? > Waypoints and the Geocaching application.
- Added phone numbers when available to POI review pages.
- Added Compass, Stopwatch, Active Geocache, and Elevation Plot dashboard options.
- Introduced dashboard options to the Compass and Map pages.
- Improved track navigation.Visit garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/trail-tech/ for more information.
Firmware Upgrade V3.50 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Added profile support for Garmin Custom Maps.
- Fixed lockup while using GB Discoverer maps.
Firmware Upgrade V3.40 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Added support for Garmin Custom Maps.
- Improved along road routing performance.
Firmware Upgrade V3.30 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Added LKS92 map datum.
- Added support for GPS firmware 3.70.
- Added support for GPI routes.
- Improved compass responsiveness.
- Fixed potential shutdown related to drawing 32-bit map points.
- Fixed potential issues during power on.
Firmware Upgrade V3.20 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Added Waypoint Averaging application (the accuracy of a waypoint location is improved by computing the average value of multiple measurements, for more information visit GARMIN's new Trail Tech website).
- Added Sight 'N Go application.
- Added Man Overboard application.
- Added big numbers option to the trip computer.
- Added customizable text to unit power-on screen (see \Garmin\startup.txt).
- Added ability to load maps from any img file in the Garmin directory.
- Added new trip computer dashboards.
- Added option to display four configurable data fields on the map.
- Added 'search near' option to Geocaches search.
- Added the ability to view geocache logs separate from the description.
- Added ability to see a list of points from the map when several points are at the same location.
- Added ability to edit a waypoint from the waypoint review.
- Added support for Custom POI database and category selection.
- Added distance and bearing to point when reviewing a Custom POI.
- Added POI subcategories.
- Added change location to Sun and Moon.
- Added change location to Hunt and Fish.
- Added ability to force the Oregon into mass storage mode by holding the power button for 30 seconds while plugged into a USB cable.
- Added NMEA 9600 baud.
- Improved render quality of GB Discoverer maps and maps with satellite imagery.
- Improved map zooming.
- Improved map draw speed.
- Improved map panning and zooming when shaded relief is turned on.
- Improved automatic route recalculation.
- Improved Custom POI spell search.
- Improved Main Menu setup and added option to add and remove items.
- Improved readability of configurable data fields.
- Improved display of numeric degrees and mils.
- Improved GPS performance at slow speeds in tree cover.
- Improved compass responsiveness in challenging GPS environments.
- Improved battery gage for NiMH batteries.
- Improved stability when changing profiles.
- Improved Wherigo stability.
- Improved connection reliability with Spanner.
- Improved Spanish keyboard.
- Fixed airport points not displaying on the map.
- Fixed lockup when a search returns no results.
- Fixed elevation errors when reviewing a point other than a waypoint.
- Increased the number of waypoints viewable from the Waypoint Manager and Where To?>Waypoints.
Firmware Upgrade V3.10 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Fixed 3D view not displaying.
- Fixed shaded relief being set to 'Do Not Show'.
- Added setting to change land cover text size.
Firmware Upgrade V2.80 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Added support for Garmin GB Discoverer maps.
- Added ability to view marine chart notes for marine points.
- Added ability to change the date for the tide and currents charts.
- Added a display option in the setup menu to save battery power (the display will be turned off when the backlight goes off).
- Fixed shutdown that can occur when you enter coordinates in demo mode.
- Fixed a potential shutdown that can occur when panning the map that is showing satellite imagery.
- Improved GPS accuracy when using WAAS.
Firmware Upgrade V2.70 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Fixed issue that caused a shutdown during power on.
- Added support for marine fishing, nautical, and off modes.
- Added tide and current charts.
- Added ability to access marine point information on the review page.
- Made marine POIs available when panning the map.
- Fixed issue when marking waypoints in the W Malayan RSO position format.
- Added GDA 94 datum.
- Added NAD 83 datum.
- Improved user interface for waypoint location editing.
- Added 'Coordinates' option to the 'Where To?' menu.
- Improved position accuracy calculation.
- Improved static position accuracy.
- Added RTCM support.
Firmware Upgrade V2.60 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Fixed issue with barometric pressure.
- Fixed issue with tide station data.
- Fixed issue with elevation over time plot.
Firmware Upgrade V2.50 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Improved accuracy of altimeter for large altitude changes.
- Improved importing geocaches. When the same geocaches is in multiple files, the geocaches from the newer file (file modified time) will be imported.
- Fixed text writing on top of itself in some geocaches descriptions.
- Fixed freeze when loading some geocaches descriptions.
- Fixed issues causing a 'Memory Full' warning message.
- Fixed issues with power off pressure trending.
Firmware Upgrade V2.40 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Added the ability to control the scale of the x and y axes of elevation plot. Tap the x-axis legend to zoom the x-axis. Tap the y-axis legend to zoom the y-axis.
- Added panning and zooming to the image viewer.
- Added ability to set position after pressing the go button when GPS is in Demo Mode.
- Added option to add a point from the map in Route Planner.
- Added option to search near a point on the map in Where To?.
- Added preview of on-road routes in Route Planner.
- Added option to save a geocaches as a waypoint.
- Added error message when the maximum number of geocaches is exceeded (2000).
- Added error message when the maximum number of gpx files is exceeded (200).
- Added option to clear the current track from Track Manager.
- Added support for downloading geocaches written using Groundspeak v1.1 extentions.
- Added elevation plot type to user profiles.
- Improved GPS performance.
- Improved map drawing performance in some situations.
- Improved handling of naming a waypoint the same as an existing waypoint.
- Improved feedback when typing an invalid character into the keyboard.
- Improved display of intermittent water areas.
- Fixed 3D View not showing detail from supplemental maps.
- Fixed 3D View occasionally not showing anything.
- Fixed waypoint and geocache symbols not updating on the map after being changed.
- Fixed Custom POIs not being removed from Recent Finds after the Custom POI database was deleted.
- Fixed being unable to pan or zoom when reviewing a route.
- Fixed issues with Cyrillic characters.
- Fixed issue where the Oregon would temporally stop responding after a spell search.
- Fixed issue where left map data field could get stuck on depth.
- Fixed creating invalid gpx files after projecting a waypoint.
- Fixed city coloring with CityNav 2009.
- Fixed map getting stuck in north up mode after panning.
- Fixed geocaches without names not being in the geocaches list.
Firmware Upgrade V2.30 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
- Added support for customizing track colors.
- Added support for custom POI alarms.
- Improved track archiving.
- Enabled map drawing above 75 degrees latitude.
- Reduced boot time.
- Added DEM shading setting to user profile.
- Added alarm tone that cannot be turned off.
- Improved high detail map drawing.
Firmware Upgrade V2.20 (Please use Web-Updater to install the latest firmware)
||The GARMIN Oregon 300 is very easy to use thanks to its touchscreen and its user friendly graphical interface. It supports multiple languages, has an integrated base map, an electronic compass and a barometrical altimeter. It can receive data from an optional chest belt with a heart rate monitor and also from an optional speed and cadence sensor for bikes. The Oregon 300 has 850 MB of built-in memory to store optional maps with even more detailed
information, such as local roads, restaurants and points of interest. In addition, it has a slot for a standard microSD memory card. The built-in USB interface supports data exchange with a PC and it supports also wireless data exchange with other GPS units that support wireless communication, see detailed description.